Where Are the Cars?

GT1 Class Discussions
Tim14
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
Car: GT-1 Mustang

Where Are the Cars?

Post by Tim14 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:54 pm

Only 7 cars at the Runoffs? Just a few years ago, GT1 was one of the more popular classes - now it seems to have been abandoned. I know it can be expensive, but I've been running GT1 since the beginning (and A-Sedan before that) and I'm not a wealthy man - if I can do it, I know a lot of other people can too! I've seen a lot of cars for sale over the past several years, but very few ads currently. There have been some very nice cars for sale at very reasonable prices. Why aren't they being raced? They're not even showing up in vintage - I've been to two SVRA events recently, and there were only about 3 ex-TransAm/GT1 cars running.

What's happened to these cars? If you have one, why aren't you running it? These cars are simply a blast to drive!
Tim Lyons
North Carolina Region
GT-1 Mustang

tlinerud
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Car: 83 VW Rabbit GTI

Re: Where Are the Cars?

Post by tlinerud » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:05 pm

Well, there was a Trans Am event the same weekend @ VIR. 24 TA, TA3 and TA4 cars, and 19 TA2 cars. They were racing for $$$ and GT1 is racing for a trophy.
Tim Linerud

San Francisco Region
Member 61387-2
GTL 1983 VW GTI
2014 Sunoco Hard Charger Award
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

Tim14
Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Post by Tim14 » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:03 pm

I know - I was there. There were just 14 TA cars, and only 3 or 4 of them are regularly running club races anymore, guys such as Cliff Ebben (who had a disappointing TA race) and Richard Grant.
Tim Lyons
North Carolina Region
GT-1 Mustang

Butch Kummer
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Post by Butch Kummer » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:21 pm

For 2017 the Runoffs will be a week later, which means more people can do both (VIR & Indy) rather than having to make a choice.
Butch Kummer
Associate Pastor of the First Church of GTA
(Former) SCCA Director of Club Racing

Tim14
Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Post by Tim14 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:29 pm

At the VIR Majors this year, there were only 5 cars - 3 of those were at the Runoffs. Where is everybody else?
Tim Lyons
North Carolina Region
GT-1 Mustang

Bosco
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Car: SPO C6 Corvette, 1969 Corvette GT-1

Post by Bosco » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:38 pm

I think a whole bunch of cars are just sitting in garages. There does not seem to be that many that have recently changed hands. In the CFR region the car that has been showing up at most regionals/SARRC events is Mike Seay's mid 90's type Camaro. Mike's car is a perimeter frame short track chassis with a 23 degree motor, running on GTA rubber. In other words it is a warmed over GTA car with a bit more down force. The Monette's still show up and sometimes Ricky Sanders in an old Monette car. Gone are the Machavern's, Jeff Emery, Nick Hazelwood, Scott Murphy,etc. Joe & Alex Gonzalez went to a T2 /TA2 Camaro. In the SE Div Kenny and Jordan Bupp, Charles Wicht, Simon Gregg, Grant, RJ Lopez, Henry Gilbert, Jon Leavy, Joe Freda mostly just race Trans Am now.

Can't think of a whole lot of new GT-1's that have been built in recent years. Jeff Hinkle did build a Challenger a year or so ago, and he just ran the runoffs with it.

Sad, but that is the state of it right now.

On a positive note GT2 is now on fire after allowing the GTA and TA2 types to compete.

tonyave
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Post by tonyave » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:50 am

We built and delivered 5 new TA/GT-cars this year....

Charles Wicht - C7
Richard Grant - C7
Denny Lamers - Mustang (which I won the June Sprints in)
Tim Rubright - Mustang
Vincent Allegretta - C7

Grant, Lamers, and David Pintaric wanted to do the runoffs but the conflict with VIR precluded it (for more than one reason)

FA and FC saw 5 cars each approx at the runoffs also. It appears the drivers/cars that have someplace else to go dont put a premium on the runoffs. We are looking into ways to make it more desirable for them again.

We will be doing at least 3 new TA/GT1 cars by spring of 2017 also.
Tony Ave
GT-1/Trans-Am
Land o Lakes and Central Carolinas Regions
CRB member

Captain Buddha
Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Post by Captain Buddha » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:31 pm

I'm always fascinated by watching the GT1 cars run (I usually see them blowing by me during a race)...but after watching a good chunk (half?) of the GT1 field have "issues" at the Daytona Runoffs last year I turned to my wife and told her "Honey, if I ever talk about buying a GT1 car I want you to kick me square in the nuts!" She agreed! I still love to watch them run but they are out of my $$$ range (to keep running).
Brad Gross
Texas Region
Chevy Monte Carlo #13 GTA/GT2
Chevy Camaro #13 GT2/TA2 - For SALE!!
Chevy Camaro TA2 - being built...

Tim14
Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Post by Tim14 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:20 pm

I think that's not necessarily the case. I'm speaking as one who has been running GT1 since GT1 began. Of course, on the other hand, I'm not running for a national championship, either! As a matter of fact, in over 40 years of SCCA racing, I've never entered the Runoffs - simply because I haven't been able to afford it, in either time or money.

Having said that, I have managed to race typically 4-5 weekends a year and have a hell of a lot of fun. I've also beaten several guys over the years who have grossly out-spent me, judging by their tow rigs and race cars. It's gotten to the point now, however, that I'm seeing drastically fewer cars - it's not nearly as much fun to run around all by myself!

Another thing to consider - cars in most classes can have "issues". I used to have quite a few myself - until I learned how important proper prep really is.

Tony - I know you're doing all you can. I'm sure you'd love to build twice as many! However, as I alluded to earlier, most "club" guys don't have the resources for a new GT1/TransAm car. Not that many years ago, GT1 was one of the most popular classes, due to rules stability, a car that is relatively easy to work on (and repair, if need be), and a car that is an absolute blast to drive. So what's changed?
Tim Lyons
North Carolina Region
GT-1 Mustang

Captain Buddha
Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Post by Captain Buddha » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:04 pm

Tim, I appreciate your post/insight. I have noticed fewer (if any, at some races) GT1 cars in the SCCA Mid-States Majors. Same with GT2 cars. <---- I'll start a thread about that in GT2 so as to not muddy up this thread.
Brad Gross
Texas Region
Chevy Monte Carlo #13 GTA/GT2
Chevy Camaro #13 GT2/TA2 - For SALE!!
Chevy Camaro TA2 - being built...