GTL 1983 VW GTI
2014 Sunoco Hard Charger Award
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

tonyave
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Re: GT1 Corvette Rules Question

Post by tonyave » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:15 pm

In looking at the current book, it appears the line making rocker arms etc illegal has been omitted during a recent re-write of that section. Although it is still clear in the GT2/3/L section..... Im sure this thread will lead to CRB letters where we clear that up.

As to the engine location, the intent is to allow the hypethetical situation where a guy buys a corvette, puts a roll cage in it, and a fuel cell, and races it. Hence the allowance of original OEM engine location. It is not intended to mean you can choose between the traditional spark plug at axle centerline OR the OEM location. It is very poorly represented in the current GCR version so it looks like we'll have to clarify that a bit.

Tony
Tony Ave
GT-1/Trans-Am
Land o Lakes and Central Carolinas Regions
CRB member

Tim14
Novice Typer
Novice Typer
Car: GT-1 Mustang

Re: GT1 Corvette Rules Question

Post by Tim14 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:34 pm

I briefly looked at the car at VIR and talked to one of the crew. Although I didn't crawl under the car, it looked to me like the transmission was moved all the way to the rear and connected directly to the diff. The crew member also described the rear suspension as "semi-independent". I saw a-arms in the rear and a pushrod arrangement with shocks mounted atop the fuel cell area. I'd be amazed if the car was GT-1 legal. Interesting that it turned up at a Majors race.
Tim Lyons
North Carolina Region
GT-1 Mustang