FIA GT3 cars in GT1

GT1 Class Discussions
RobEgt5luvr
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Re: FIA GT3 cars in GT1

Post by RobEgt5luvr » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:55 pm

I suspect that at a track like Laguna the FIA GT3 may be pretty close in time. The things run picnic table sized rear wings and have a good deal of front aero as well. Fastest GTD was a Flying Lizard Audi @ 1:27.5 and I suspect in truly GT3 trim with some Michelin or Pirelli tires that may translate to something on the order of a 1:24.8 or so. Not sure what the GT1 times are like so I don't know how close that would make it. Bottom line in my opinion is the GT 3 probably won't have the acceleration to pass a "proper" GT 1 car but it will carry speed in places that they can't and should make for a very exciting race.
Rob Elson
GT-L Nissan Sentra B13
Previous GT5 1200
Atlanta Region
Live in Fla
The problem facing America right now is that those who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

tlinerud
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Car: 83 VW Rabbit GTI

Post by tlinerud » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:04 am

GT1 track record @ Laguna Seca is a 1:27.272 by Lew Larimer in 2006 in his 1994 Olds Custlass. Fastest SCCA time is a FA in 2007 of 1:21.245 by Hans Peter in a Swift.

Rob, keep in mind, that the GTD Flying Lizard cars are running PRO weekends with no sound restrictions.
Tim Linerud

San Francisco Region
Member 61387-2
GTL 1983 VW GTI
2014 Sunoco Hard Charger Award
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

RobEgt5luvr
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Post by RobEgt5luvr » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:39 pm

Understand the sound thing all too well. What is your estimate of muffled vs. unmuffled time wise?
Rob Elson
GT-L Nissan Sentra B13
Previous GT5 1200
Atlanta Region
Live in Fla
The problem facing America right now is that those who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

tlinerud
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Car: 83 VW Rabbit GTI

Post by tlinerud » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:29 am

I would have to say, it's more of a power thing, that then equates to a lap time thing. My VW Wabbit doesn't have a problem with sound @ Laguna, so I'm not really the one to ask.

Mike Lewis, want to chime in as to how much power you're losing running at 103 db vs. 110 or 115 db?
Tim Linerud

San Francisco Region
Member 61387-2
GTL 1983 VW GTI
2014 Sunoco Hard Charger Award
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

David Pintaric
Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Post by David Pintaric » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:17 pm

disquek wrote:Half a million dollars for a Viper GT3?!?!?! Cheese and crackers!!! 8) I knew the Audi was spendie, but ....

That number reminds us of what a terrific value an SCCA GT tube car is compared to most any other option with similar performance.

FWIW: I think this is a great idea. Its adds some bling to the grid and it hurts no one. We should all be keeping an eye out for existing series of cars that can be fit into existing GT classes.
Tell more people. I did the math, checked my numbers twice...GT1/Trans Am cars are a bargain for the performance, and without the electronics you REALLY need to drive them (hence my struggles).

autodoctor911

Post by autodoctor911 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:33 am

Are FIA GT-3 cars allowed some form of driver's aid electronics like Traction control and ABS?

I will double check, but I think they only have engine only traction control(based on crank speed only and can only reduce power, not apply brakes) and still no ABS.

EDIT: Correction: they are not allowed any "electronic stability control" but are allowed 8 solenoid ABS systems. This is the number of solenoids normally used for 4 channel ABS only(no TC or SC)

If a team was to program their own ABS module though, I could see how it could easily act as an effective stability control, possibly using other sensors or without, even with only 8 solenoids. This would be cheating, of course, but nearly impossible to detect, even for Pro scritineers, especially if it is programmed to only work if the brake pedal is applied(even lightly).