My new "Vintage Look" Road Race GT Corvette

GT1 Class Discussions
Bosco
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Car: SPO C6 Corvette, 1969 Corvette GT-1

Re: My new "Vintage Look" Road Race GT Corvette

Post by Bosco » Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:20 am

Way behind schedule but at least it is now rolling. Building new house and shop, grand baby # 3 almost here, lots to look forward to.

Shop will look something like image below save with two double doors and will have 12' walls. Will have efficiency apartment in roof line. 40' wide by 30' deep. This will be used just for the race cars. C6 tube frame and the new C3 tube car.

Bosco
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Post by Bosco » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:11 am

I put the Ford 9" rear end from the C6 in the '69 for fitment but at 62" it is not wide enough. Ordering a 64" housing today.

Bought a new Kirkey late model type seat as well. Will not be able to use the containment type as I will be climbing thru the window for entry. Containment takes up too much room. Doors will be pinned on.

Dick at the Boat & Fiberglass works is widening the front flares by two inches on each side to make room for the 64 inch track.

I am gonna try a cut down Nascar cup 1/4" Lexan windshield fitted into the stock windshield frame.

Hoping the Bob Stretch TA2 wheels with the 5" backspace are gonna work. I think the 3045 tire is gonna be fine for the 520 HP and 420 torque of this motor.

Leroy
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book
Car: Sunbeam Tiger

Post by Leroy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:28 am

Hey Bosco:

Any updates or pictures for the vintage Look Vette?
Leroy Lacy
Cal Club
1967 Sunbeam Tiger
GT2

Bosco
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Post by Bosco » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:05 am

Leroy wrote:Hey Bosco:

Any updates or pictures for the vintage Look Vette?

Not much to report other than the bodywork has been completed. I have been involved in design & bidding stages of a new home and shop construction and have not put much effort or money on the build lately.

It needs just a little more chassis work (rework the footbox a bit) and then can go out to be powder coated and then assembled.

Woody at Bemco Fab has been tied up with the build of a new TA2 car, an HSR Mustang re-build and the Bobby Kennedy TA2/GT2 effort. (Just finished 2nd at the runoffs)

Hope to get it moving again soon. I should have been racing it by now.

Underneath it is really just a TA2/GT2 type chassis and the motor would be GT2 legal. With the 4 speed and the Hoosier 3045 tires it is really a GTA/GT2 car with a vintage Corvette body. Would be great if I could get it classed there, I will have fun with it no matter in SPO, GT1 or HSR,

RobEgt5luvr
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Post by RobEgt5luvr » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:49 am

Wow, Maybe you could run as a TA-2 Car. That would be cool. I bet you would get "fan vote", "most popular" or whatever else the Marketing bunch might come up with.
Rob Elson
GT-L Nissan Sentra B13
Previous GT5 1200
Atlanta Region
Live in Fla
The problem facing America right now is that those who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Bosco
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Post by Bosco » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:09 am

RobEgt5luvr wrote:Wow, Maybe you could run as a TA-2 Car. That would be cool. I bet you would get "fan vote", "most popular" or whatever else the Marketing bunch might come up with.

Rob, TA would never allow a Vintage look car in TA2, they have that class going exactly where they want it to.

Maybe it would be worth looking into the SCCA GT2 thing as you can race a late model stock car (GTA) in GT2 with the same drivetrain that I have.

Bosco
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Post by Bosco » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:55 am

After more than fours years and many starts and stops, this outlaw vintage project is near completion.

Fred and Chuck Strube in St. Cloud, Fl are nearly finished with the car. It is being painted in GM Polar White and Hugger Orange.

The final product features the Byron Koury built 23 degree 327 ci motor, similar to what one might run in IMSA Camel GT in the early 80's. I used an old Tex T101 tranny that I bought many years ago which came out of the DEI shop. The body pieces were sourced from Corvette America, Stinger Fiberglass, doors off a stock C3. I had a mold made from a factory bolt on hard top to make a lightweight one.

The car should be around 2500 # dry. At that weight and 525 HP it will have the power to weight of a Trans Am 2 car. I spoke with HSR a couple years ago about the car and they said it will likely fit in their group nine, maybe in the class with the DEKON Monza. In SCCA, we can run wither GT-1 or SPO.

We will be running the car on 15x10 TA2 alloy wheels or Basset light weight inertia wheels fitted with Hoosier F25 rubber to begin with.

The Strube Brothers workmanship has been outstanding. They have been building race cars for over fifty years and continue to do so at over 70 years of age. Great guys and smart racers.

We hope to test the car in late April with Lee Arnold of the V8 StockCar Series doing the driving. Later this year we hope to run some HSR enduro's with him and Kerry Hitt shoeing.

Along the way it has been fun, frustrating and now exciting to see the project successfully culminate.

Matt93SE
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Post by Matt93SE » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:17 pm

I definitely want video when it gets out on track!
Matt Blehm
Houston Region
STU 240SX
EP/GT3 RX7 (Eventually)

Bosco
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Post by Bosco » Tue May 01, 2018 4:01 pm

She is a lightweight, came in at 2363 with 10 gallons of fuel.

Bosco
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Post by Bosco » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:27 pm

We took the Vette to Sebring with CFR SCCA in June to shake her down. Did not get much track time as a few niggling problems in practice and qualifying made those sessions abbreviated and then it rained in the vintage race. Driver Lee Arnold putted around on slicks and finished. We learned some things including that the distributor had issues. Those things are resolved and we should have a more productive outing next time.