GT2 Class Discussions
Joe Harlan
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Car: GTL 2004 Sentra GT3/GTL 240sx
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/TopTechMotorsports/

ST Rules

Post by Joe Harlan » Sun May 21, 2017 1:01 am

Where does a tech person go to find approved bodies and allowed modifications for ST/GT2 cars...I worked tech for GTcars at the super tour races this weekend and figuring out compliance was a JOKE....
Joe Harlan

RLentz
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Car: GT2 Nissan 300ZX

Re: ST Rules

Post by RLentz » Sun May 21, 2017 8:02 am

Joe- Last September I sent this note to three active BoD members citing that very problem. As best I can tell nothing has happened to alleviate the lack of understanding on this rule set.

"You are probably aware of a request made by Jim Goughary (with support of all the Majors “conventional GT2 car” racers) to request a class compliance chief for GT2. His rationale was, and is, solid.

I saw a note attributed to Eric Prill in Fastrack about the competitors doing policing of classes and sent him a note about this (below). I didn’t realize that his comments were focused toward more homogeneous classes. His reply was thoughtful and it’s clear that Eric understands the problem.

Policing the GT2 class was trivial until all the new subclasses were added. It became very tough (not just for the competitors, but also for Tech) when the Porches were added. Now, with the addition of two additional subclasses (STO and TA2), it is virtually impossible for us to even know what the rules are, never mind figure out what one might want to challenge. Unlike our traditional GT2 cars, the rules are referenced by, but not included in the GCR. And the referenced documents are not easily available (or perhaps available at all) to the average GT2 entrant. I seriously doubt that the Tech staff have the rules for the very reason I have cited.

Eric correctly points out this would be a hard and perhaps expensive thing to police because of all the subclasses. I would note that this situation was created by the Club leadership and the Club leadership must find a workable solution. It is just untenable to have a class that has so many arcane cars/classes that it is nearly un-regulatable in terms of car legality.

I think this is being worked at some level of energy by the CRB/Eric but I wanted to be sure you are aware of the issue. We must find a way out of this situation."

(This followed as email exchange with Eric Prill on the same topic, which is referenced above.) Since nothing has happened on this I can only surmise that it is not being worked on by CRB, or at least not being worked on with much urgency.

I think one solution would be to require that all GT2/STO cars racing under rules other than the "traditional" GT2 cars be required to have with them a printed copy of the rules under which they are running so that Tech folks can request them to validate compliance. This would be similar to the requirement SCCA has imposed on IT or Showroom cars in the past.

An alternate solution would be for the CRB to post these rules on the SCCA web site for subsequent access by Tech folks when they determine need to do so.

bavclt
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Post by bavclt » Sun May 21, 2017 6:42 pm

Being a nationally ordained compliance person who has worked numerous
Runoffs, I like the solution to have the CRB post the rules on the SCCA website with automatic notifications to tech personel who can check for compliance at all events.
Sam Moore
GT3 Volvo

SCCA competitor since 1983

bavclt
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Post by bavclt » Sun May 21, 2017 6:45 pm

Sounds easy??
Sam Moore
GT3 Volvo

SCCA competitor since 1983

Joe Harlan
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Car: GTL 2004 Sentra GT3/GTL 240sx
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/TopTechMotorsports/

Post by Joe Harlan » Sun May 21, 2017 10:13 pm

Lets start with the approved body kit BMW has an approved kit...Go to the websight and try to figure out which kit it is? The rule book provides no part number no help... I intend to continue working tech at majors when possible...Because in my opinion the rules are a cluster F*** as written.. in this ca.0se the competitor wants to be legal but cant get solid answers to his question.
Joe Harlan