Needs some help on my GT-3

GT3 Class Discussions
DPYenko#134

Needs some help on my GT-3

Post by DPYenko#134 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:28 pm

I have raced SCCA and IMSA in earlier years. With a Yenko in DP and an Oldsmobile Startfire in RS. (H body) I have Mike Rickman's 200SX car which has been completely redone mechanically with a rebuild of the L20B by Rebello. I believe it would be considered a tub car? (The orgional unibody with the stock rear suspension replaced with a fabricated rear structure.) Not sure about that.

I believe it would not be competitive and probably never will be be, unless somehow the car would be given some advantages equipment wise and weight wise. Has any thing been done there? That is a whole different subject because I know changes can come slowly. I am not in a position to purchase a more updated car at this time.

So some patience guys. I don't even know the questions to ask. I have to say with the move to new cars in GT2 over the recent years, and then moving of some the existing GT2 cars into lower classes, I have no understanding of present GT3 or GTL cars. The question becomes; would I be able to run GTL with out a lot of changes? What would the 200SX be configured as. Would it even be legal to run GTL? It has the OEM gear box. What is presently run in GTL? After market dog engagement trans? What are the SPO ? (3200 + lbs) cars that would be running with with the much lighter GT3 cars. Certainly not a good idea to combine those. Did those cars become part of a GT3 run group?

I would want to run National races as I did before. Vintage or Regional's would not be something I would like to do, but I guess I could throw the towel in and run Vintage. In no way I am disparaging those that enjoy Vintage racing and my apologies to those I may have offended here. It is not about you.

So some constructive ideas please as well as passing some knowledge into that large void that time has created by being away so long. That desire to race has never waned over the years. I want to get out there in my retirement years from work and family while I have some years available. Thanks guys.

tlinerud
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Car: 83 VW Rabbit GTI

Re: Needs some help on my GT-3

Post by tlinerud » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:48 pm

In GTL, you can mix and match bodies and engines within the marque, so the 200SX body, with a 92" wheelbase is OK in GTL, but the L20 motor is too large for GTL. The largest that can be used is the L18. With the L18, you would still need to run a 24.5mm SIR. GTL doesn't really car whether it's a tube or tub chassis. There are some rules regarding IRS and weight "trophies" but you'd have to run in GT3 with the L20 motor.
Tim Linerud

San Francisco Region
Member 61387-2
GTL 1983 VW GTI
2014 Sunoco Hard Charger Award
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

Joe Harlan
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Car: GTL 2004 Sentra GT3/GTL 240sx
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/TopTechMotorsports/

Post by Joe Harlan » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:22 pm

That car could run GTL with an 1800, If I recall the rear rear was converted to a live axle way back so so IRS penalty. Send me a Email toptechracing at Gmail dot com or PM me through this site. I have information that will help on that car.
Joe Harlan

blitzgt3
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Car: GT-3 rotary Miata

Post by blitzgt3 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:18 am

Mike Agnifilo (New Hampshire) was the last one who ran a tub based L series 200SX in GT3 and he did quite well with it for what it was. The L series motor can be competitive but most of the Nissans in GT3 tend to go with the larger K series 4 cylinders. Ken Nelson (Michigan) runs a L series in tubeframe 200SX and does well in the Midwest. I would locate the car's specifications in the GT3 section of the GT rules. That will give you and outline on what you can do. An older tub based car will not be at the front of the field, but you can run tub cars and have loads of fun. I ran a tub based Opel Manta in GT4 and a tub based RX3 in GT3. GT3 is the perfect balance of power and handling and the class is currently experiencing a resurgence in interest. Most of the cars in GT3 right now are purpose built tubeframe cars. It would be nice to get some more tub based cars into the class. GT3 is really where the car belongs and you could run it with out a SIR. (Single inlet restrictor) Everything is more fun when it's not restricted. ;)
John Mills
08-present GT-3 Mazda Miata
04-07 GT-3 Mazda RX-3
94-03 GT-4 Opel Manta
89-93 ITB Opel Manta

Joe Harlan
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Car: GTL 2004 Sentra GT3/GTL 240sx
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/TopTechMotorsports/

Post by Joe Harlan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:35 pm

Adding to Johns thought you can bore and stroke that L20 to an L21 and run unrestricted at a pretty light weight.
Joe Harlan