May 2017 prelims adding new cars

GT3 Class Discussions
Collin Jackson
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Re: May 2017 prelims adding new cars

Post by Collin Jackson » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:34 pm

John
First, I guess you are the only guy aloud to have an opinion.
Second, I have run an SIR for years????? What the hecks got into you?
I also run every Majors race from Central California to Canada to support GT3 for years.
Including flying to Topeka for the GT round table at my cost

Lastly what the heck are you proposing anyway?
I was simply offering an opinion.
Since you are attacking, I would like to see your crb proposal for growing GT3
- I will be just as objective in supporting yours.

Respect others as you want to be respected.
Collin
Collin Jackson
GT3 driver since 1995

blitzgt3
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit
Car: GT-3 rotary Miata

Post by blitzgt3 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:33 am

Our opinions are what the board is asking us for.
No one is questioning your commitment to the class Collin.
You offered your opinion and I snapped at you. I apologize for that.

Like I said, we ALL must write our letters. If you think this is a good idea, let us know. If you think it's a bad idea, let us know.

This forum offers a great way that we can communicate and discuss our opinions openly.
We need to pull together as a class to grow. GTL has done a great job with their class and there is no reason GT3 can't do the same thing. All opinions are welcome.
John Mills
08-present GT-3 Mazda Miata
04-07 GT-3 Mazda RX-3
94-03 GT-4 Opel Manta
89-93 ITB Opel Manta

Matt93SE
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Post by Matt93SE » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:53 am

Those things sound a whole lot like an "STO" car to me...

I'm glad to see SCCA entertaining the idea of modern cars with twin turbos and such, but it shouldn't be at the expense of the current classes- ASSUMING those current classes are healthy.

While I fully admit SWDiv isn't the rest of the country, there's only been one semi-prepped GT3 car here for the last few years, and he got tired of spending money to run around by himself, sold the car, and went to B-Spec. Tom Wedel brought his Probe out for a race and broke, which was about 2 years ago. I think that was the last time I've seen >2 GT3 cars on track at a time. If I were making club decisions on the tiny view of this division, I'd conclude that GT3 needs help.

However, I don't believe on the surface that those cars are a match to the current small, nimble GT3 cars that are running elsewhere in the country.
Matt Blehm
Houston Region
STU 240SX
EP/GT3 RX7 (Eventually)

Collin Jackson
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Post by Collin Jackson » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:37 am

John
No problem,
-I am sure as an Adhoc guy you get all kinds of frustrating situations.

My only real point was/is GT3 needs help and I want us to be as inclusive as possible.
-Even if the data does not look quite right early on. It is my belief that compromise and measured
consideration of the CRB's needs is what will endear them and others to keep GT3 healthy and
happy in the long term.

Besides I am growing extremely tired of racing with 1 or 2 guys per race, year after year.
IE: I am going to Buttonwillow California next week which is 1200 miles away for me.
-We have only 2 GT3 cars entered - Bummer
As a very long standing GT3 guy, it pains me to say I am considering leaving the class.

blitzgt3
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Post by blitzgt3 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:36 pm

Thanks for accepting my apology Collin. Those that know me personally know that was uncharacteristic for me. I think my harshness stems more from my job as a Service Manager than it does from the adhoc committee. Lol

GT3 is a class that all of us love. We feel it is the perfect combination of power, balance and affordability. That is why our emotions run high. We must work together as a team for the benefit of our class.

Yes, we all recognize that GT3 needs some help. I'm lucky enough to run in the Midwest where there are a number of competitive GT3 cars.

I'm a very strong advocate of tubeframe construction. Tubeframe cars are more easily repaired, break less and can be rebodied to a newer make or ever a different manufacture. I believe the “GT” classes should be structured around tubeframe cars. While no one can argue that the GT2 particpation numbers are great right now, GT2 currently does not reflect that ideology. I have nothing against tub cars coming into our class. But they should not be the center of our class nor should they be overdogs.

I encourage us all to openly communicate on this forum. GTL was almost dead. They didn't introduce new cars or change their philosophy, they just supported each other and had fun racing. Now look at it. I hope they are proud of their efforts. They should be.
There is no reason GT3 can't do the same.
Last edited by blitzgt3 on Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
John Mills
04-07 GT-3 Mazda RX-3
94-03 GT-4 Opel Manta
89-93 ITB Opel Manta

mheintzman
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Post by mheintzman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:40 pm

Collin Jackson wrote: (edited - mdh)

IE: I am going to Buttonwillow California next week which is 1200 miles away for me.
-We have only 2 GT3 cars entered - Bummer
As a very long standing GT3 guy, it pains me to say I am considering leaving the class.
Hold off on that leaving the class thought. I am but a few weeks away from being able to enter many more GT-3 races and I believe I am not the only one updating/developing a GT-3 car out here.

I will still be looking at your tail lights running away but we will be closer than we were before.

Re: Buttonwillow - you will usually see Wolfgang, Jose, Mike Henderson, Scott Graham, Guy Laidig and sometimes Doug Ruthroff enter. At least I hope a few of them will enter. I will probably just miss out by a few days.

scott sanda
Ready to Write a Book
Ready to Write a Book

Post by scott sanda » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:43 pm

For what it is worth, I would put an SIR or plate on my 968 and run it in GT3 if I could run on my current 16 inch (gt2) wheel and tire package. In other words, 3L 4 valve non competitive in GT2.

Collin Jackson
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!

Post by Collin Jackson » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:58 pm

Scott

Put out a proposal.
What weight would be fair etc.
I want 4-banger GT2 cars in GT3
We already accepted 13b rotaries and 2.8L 6-bangers!
Collin

blitzgt3
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Post by blitzgt3 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:45 pm

Collin is right Scott. We have been classifying "Defranchised" GT2 cars into GT3 for awhile now. Put together a proposal and send it in.
The new cars that have been introduced to GT2 have done wonders for participation counts, but sadly they have left many cars uncompetitive. With proper adjustments they may be able to find a new home in GT3.
John Mills
04-07 GT-3 Mazda RX-3
94-03 GT-4 Opel Manta
89-93 ITB Opel Manta

zchris
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Post by zchris » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:33 pm

As it turns out the TCR series cars are a moving target engine output wise anyway. I was talking with an adhoc member and apparently the car specs have changed a lot since last year when they were first looking at it. Now if we could impose a TIR that would make sense that might be an OK fit for us. As the series changes engine output specs regularly, we would need this. Just food for thought to appease the CRB. And keep GT3 alive.
Chris Howard
Boston,MA
GT3
GT2
SM
ITB ect.....