Aim MXL Pista

Technical and Repair Discussions
lans stout
Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Aim MXL Pista

Post by lans stout » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:14 pm

We have an MXL Pista in our GTL car that goes back to 2006. It gets data from the MoTec ECU along with separate sensors for oil and fuel pressure. We have been fighting with what appears to be ignition timing problems (backfire out of intake and exhaust on trying to start, as well as terrible miss on-track). In the course of looking for the problem we found no errors in MoTec, so we eventually changed every external component including the ECU and the problem remained. We changed engines, and while the starting is not as bad, it still pops occasionally but it sounds OK once running. Teardown of the first engine shows nothing that would create this problem. So, the only constant is the data feed from the ECU to the logger... has anyone had something like this happen? I'm wondering if the logger is giving bad feedback to the ECU which fouls up the ignition.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Lans Stout

Joe Harlan
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Car: GTL 2004 Sentra GT3/GTL 240sx
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/TopTechMotorsports/

Re: Aim MXL Pista

Post by Joe Harlan » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:51 pm

One of the things I have found when they start backfiring on startup is the cranking speed is not fast enough and the ECU gets confused, Remember you loaned me a sensor that my system could not even see on the crank sensor. I have purchased a bunch of the ones I use, I would be happy to loan you one!
Joe Harlan

McKinney28
Forum Hermit
Forum Hermit

Post by McKinney28 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:42 am

Lans,

I assume that you are running the Honeywell 1GT1DC sensor that we all run. If so, here is my experience from 2014 conversion to FI:

We had the very same symptoms on the very first startup of the new FI System on my GT-3 Nissan KA24. Luckily we at Rebello's shop with the wonderful tutorial of Brian Rebello. After numerous diagnostics' we changed out a Brand New sensor and voilà it worked just fine. Who would have thunk!

Good Luck!
Chuck McKinney
Member 111261
San Francisco Region
GT-3 #28 Nissan 240SX

terry miller

Post by terry miller » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:34 am

I had a problem of hard to start and back firing on starting one of 2 motors. The problem was the bracket for the sensor on the motor was not placing the sensor perpendicular to the wheel on the crank. Changed the bracket and fixed the problem.

lans stout
Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Post by lans stout » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:54 am

Yep, you guys are right that those sensors are always the first place to look for this kind of issue. I've found that as they age the air gap needs to be tightened up, and eventually they just don't work right. MoTec has good diagnostics, but the sure fire way to test is to have a couple of new ones in the spares box.

This was not our problem though. Last Sunday I e-mailed David Ferguson (Veracity Data) explaining the symptoms, and he suggested that it could go down to the dark backlight in the dash... caused by a failing power inverter which created background noise and got to the ECU. Guess what: unplug the dash and the running is fine. Sure enough, the dash was the only thing we had not addressed in the "throw parts at it" approach. Monday Morning Ellen Ferguson was on the phone to AiM, Tuesday they had my dash, and Wednesday morning I had a refurbished one along with a GPS module... all set up with my configuration, so it was just plug and go.

I cannot say enough positive things about David and Ellen, and for the way AiM responded. Just great customer service all around. Check out Veracity Data's website and keep them in mind if you need anything.

tlinerud
Needs a Life!!!
Needs a Life!!!
Car: 83 VW Rabbit GTI

Post by tlinerud » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:56 am

I've known David and Ellen for years as friends, but never as a vendor / customer. Glad to know that they are just as good on that side of the fence. See you @ Sears Point. I'll be crewing for Joe on Friday.
Tim Linerud

San Francisco Region
Member 61387-2
GTL 1983 VW GTI
2014 Sunoco Hard Charger Award
2016 Western Conference GTL Champion

lans stout
Novice Typer
Novice Typer

Post by lans stout » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:06 pm

Thanks Tim...
Next time you talk with David and Ellen, please say again for me what I have already: "Thank you!"
We are not going to the Majors at Sears (the old time and money thing), but will hopefully get our second Regional this weekend so we'll be qualified for Runoffs if we decide to go.

RLentz
Still Learning to Type
Still Learning to Type
Car: GT2 Nissan 300ZX

Post by RLentz » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:09 pm

I agree with what’s been posted about David and Ellen at Veracity. I recently acquired a new dash and data system from them and the customer support has been nothing short of astonishingly wonderful.

David Ferguson

Post by David Ferguson » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:17 pm

Thanks for the kind words guys!